Overview of Intermedia
When small and medium-sized businesses want cloud IT services and business applications, they turn to Intermedia. Our Office in the Cloud™ suite integrates all of the essential IT services that SMBs need to do business, including hosted Exchange, Hosted PBX, SecuriSync file sync and share, identity and access management, email archiving, security, mobility, and more. Office in the Cloud goes beyond unified communications to encompass the widest breadth of fundamental IT services delivered by any single provider.
Think of it as a “Business Cloud Platform.” All of our services are integrated into our HostPilot® Control Panel. There’s just one login, one password, one bill and one source of support, which creates tremendous cross-service efficiencies for both users and IT administrators. And all our services offer enterprise-grade security, 99.999% availability and 24/7 phone support with hold times of less than 60 seconds.
Intermedia has 60,000 customers, over 1,000,000 paying users, and 5,000 active partners—including VARs, MSPs, telcos and cable companies. Our industry leading Partner Program lets partners sell under their own brand with full control over billing, pricing and every other element of their customer relationships. Intermedia is the world’s largest independent provider of hosted Exchange.
Intermedia has 600 employees in three countries who manage ten datacenters to power our Office in the Cloud—and who work relentlessly to assure customers and partners of a Worry-free Experience™.
|Company type||Privately held|
|Headquarters||Mountain View, CA|
|Additional locations||New York, NY, London, UK and St. Petersburg Russia|
|Datacenters||Multiple world-class datacenters in California, New Jersey, London, Colorado and Virginia|
- October, 2014: Intermedia expands global presence into Australia and New Zealand
- September, 2014: Intermedia named to CRN Fast Growth 150 list and recognized with a 2014 Internet Telephony Excellence Award
- September, 2014: Intermedia releases Intermedia AppID, a single sign-on portal designed specifically for small and medium-sized businesses
- August, 2014: Gartner names Intermedia a “visionary” in their 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant for UCaaS, Multiregional.
- August, 2014: Intermedia voted "Best Services" at CompTIA ChannelCon 2014
- August, 2014: Intermedia publishes its 2014 SMB Rogue Access Study
- August, 2014: Intermedia announces four big enhancements to its partner program
- July, 2014: Intermedia and ADI announce partnership to deliver cloud voice services
- June, 2014: Intermedia publishes its 2014 SMB Cloud Landscape Report
- May, 2014: Intermedia performs its 500,000th mailbox migration
- May, 2014: Intermedia passes more than 1,000,000 unique paying users
- March, 2014: Intermedia debuts integrations with QuickBooks, Salesforce and ConnectWise
- February, 2014: Intermedia adds McAfee Email Defense, creating a partnership between the Exchange Hosting leader and the global IT security authority
- January, 2014: Intermedia starts offering Email Archiving as a standalone service
- December, 2013: Intermedia releases its 2013 Small + Medium Business Mobile Trends Report
- November, 2013: Gartner names Intermedia a “visionary” in their 2013 UCaaS Magic Quadrant.
- October, 2013: Intermedia launches SecuriSync file sync and share.
- September, 2013: Intermedia acquires SaaSID.
- August, 2013: Intermedia acquires Telanetix and their AccessLine brand of voice services.
- August, 2013: The Radicati Group names Intermedia as a “top player” in their 2013 Hosted Exchange Market Quadrant.
- July, 2013: Intermedia reaches 600,000 premium hosted Exchange mailboxes under management.
- April, 2013: Intermedia launches Email Archiving.
- October, 2012: Intermedia received gold standard SOC 2 and SOC 3 audits for security and availability, replacing the former SAS 70 II
- September, 2012 - Intermedia reaches 500,000 premium hosted Exchange mailboxes under management
- July, 2012 - Intermedia launches hosted Exchange 2013 beta
- July, 2012 - Intermedia announced 480,000 premium mailboxes under management
- May, 2012 - Intermedia joins Cloud Security Alliance
- March, 2012 – Intermedia unifies partner program for private label and advisor partners
- December, 2011 – Intermedia reaches 400,000 premium hosted Exchange mailboxes under management
- November, 2011 – Intermedia announces ConnectWise integration with partner portal
- October, 2011 – Intermedia launches mobile My Services – a mobile app for the company’s proprietary end-user control panel – My Services – is now available as a mobile app
- October, 2011 – Intermedia’s Hosted Exchange 2010 and 2007 voted MSExchange.org Readers’ Choice Award Winner
- October, 2011 - MSExchange.org 2011 Reader's Choice Award Winner
- September, 2011 – Lync Secure Instant Messaging launched by Intermedia
- August, 2011 – Intermedia launches first mobile app - mobile HostPilot, a mobile app for securely provisioning and managing Intermedia cloud services
- July, 2011 - Intermedia reaches 350,000 premium hosted Exchange mailboxes under management
- May, 2011 - Intermedia acquired by Oak Hill Capital Partners, one of the world's top private equity firms
- February, 2011 - Intermedia reaches 300,000 premium hosted Exchange mailboxes under management
- January, 2011 - Launched private label reseller program in EMEA market
- January, 2011 - Launched policy-based encrypted email solution
- November, 2010 - Awarded the Ingram Micro Services Award of Excellence for 2010
- November, 2010 - Ingram award
- September, 2010 - Launched affiliate program in the UK market
- August, 2010 - Launched Conference Bridges service
- August, 2010 - Launched Hosted PBX, VoIP-based telephony service built specifically for SMBs to integrate with Exchange
- July, 2010 - Intermedia reaches 250,000 premium hosted Exchange mailboxes under management
- July, 2010 - Intermedia launches Outlook 2010
- May, 2010 - Intermedia launched SharePoint 2010
- November, 2009 - Intermedia reaches 225,000 premium hosted Exchange mailboxes under management
- November, 2009 - World's first provider of Microsoft Exchange 2010 as a hosted service
- July, 2009 - Intermedia reaches 200,000 premium hosted Exchange mailboxes under management
- May, 2009 - Intermedia promoted to gold member of Research in Motion's BlackBerry Alliance Program
- May, 2009 - First provider of hosted Office Communications Server for BlackBerry smartphones
- May, 2009 - HostReview Fastest Growing Company Award
- February, 2009 - Intermedia offers 99.999 percent SLA for hosted Exchange
- January, 2009 - Intermedia offers customers single sign-on with synchronized Active Directory
- July, 2008 - Intermedia reaches 300,000 business mailboxes under management
- July, 2008 - Web Host Directory Dedicated Server Hosting Award winner
- June, 2008 - Intermedia passes SAS 70 Type II certification audit
- February, 2008 - Intermedia begins offering email encryption as a service
- January, 2008 - Intermedia launches first hosted Office Communications Server 2007 service
- November, 2007 - Intermedia joins Research in Motion's BlackBerry Alliance Program
- September, 2007 - Intermedia's hosted Exchange Services voted best by MSExchange.org
- September, 2007 - MSExchange.org 2007 Reader's Choice Award Winner
- February, 2007 - Perfect Score in Technical Support from HosTest.net
- December, 2006 - First provider of hosted Exchange 2007
- September, 2000 - First provider of hosted Microsoft Exchange
|Company type||Privately held|
|Headquarters||Mountain View, CA|
|Additional locations||New York, NY, London, UK and St. Petersburg Russia|
|Datacenters||Multiple world-class datacenters in California, New Jersey, London, Colorado and Virginia|
Phil Koen, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Phil Koen is Intermedia's Chairman and CEO. He joined Intermedia in May 2011 as part of the company's acquisition by leading private equity firm Oak Hill Capital Partners. Koen brings more than 20 years of C-level industry expertise to Intermedia, most recently as CEO and director of Savvis [NASDAQ: SVVS], a global leader in cloud infrastructure and hosted IT solutions for enterprises. Prior to that, he was president and COO of Equinix [NASDAQ: EQIX], the leading provider of network-neutral data centers and Internet exchange services. Koen previously served as Equinix's CFO and in a number of senior executive positions at other leading technology firms.
Koen currently serves on the boards of Infinera Corp (NASDAQ: INFN), an optical networking company, and Proofpoint [NASDAQ: PFPT], a cloud-based email security company. He earned a bachelor's degree from Claremont McKenna College and an MBA from the University of Virginia. Koen also serves on the Board of Trustees at Webster University.
Michael Gold, President
Michael Gold is Intermedia's president, leading the organization with a focus on profitably growing the company through an increasingly broader set of cloud services - and a superior experience for customers and partners. Gold joined Intermedia in May 2011 as part of the company's acquisition by leading private equity firm Oak Hill Capital Partners.
Gold brings over 15 years of senior management experience in cloud services and channel development. Before joining Intermedia, he was CEO of Zlago, a cloud services company he founded and grew via a nationwide network of managed service providers, VARs, and other channel partners. Previously, Gold was a senior vice president at cloud automation provider Parallels. Gold came to Parallels through its acquisition of Sphera, a cloud services company where he served as CEO.
Gold has held a variety of other executive roles in the industry, including CEO of software company Vicorp and senior vice president of Qwest Communications, where he had P&L responsibility for the Internet Products business and launched Qwest's CyberCenter datacenter and hosting business. Long dedicated to the channel community that supports small and mid-size businesses, he was named one of the 25 most innovative executives by CRN and Everything Channel in 2009 and 2010. Gold earned a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Illinois and an MBA from Stanford.
Scott Allen, Chief Financial Officer
Scott Allen, chief financial officer, has global responsibility for all of Intermedia’s financial functions including financial accounting, financial planning and analysis, revenue operations/customer billing, treasury, tax, legal and the development of internal IT systems and business processes. Prior to Intermedia Allen held the role of VP finance & operations at Citrix Online Services – a division of Citrix and provider of secure, easy-to-use cloud-based collaboration services such as GoToMeeting and GoToMyPC. While there, Allen was responsible for driving the overall business model while assisting the company in tripling revenue over a five year period. Additionally, he was heavily involved in the online division’s acquisition strategy. Prior to joining Citrix, Allen held various positions at ADP, including, business unit CFO and controller roles. ADP is one of the world's largest providers of business outsourcing solutions. Allen holds an MBA from Golden Gate University of San Francisco and has a bachelor’s degree in business administration/accounting from San Jose State University.
Jonathan McCormick, Chief Operating Officer
As COO, Jonathan McCormick manages all Intermedia hosting operations and operations staff. With the company since 2007, McCormick has played an integral role in bringing a number of industry firsts to market for the company including the launch of the company's first in-country UK datacenter. McCormick creates a positive environment heading Intermedia's Sunnyvale, CA office where inter-department collaboration and teaming is a strong focus.
Prior to joining the team at Intermedia, McCormick was employed as the SVP of operations and client services for Savvis, the global provider of managed hosting, network and collocation facilities. In this capacity he was responsible for the management of all operations and customer service organizations globally.
McCormick is frequently sought after as a thought leader in the business communications space to add commentary on industry trends and events. He has been published in such outlets as EWeek, Network World and SC Magazine. He received a double major in Psychology and Economics from Trinity College in Hartford, CT.
Andrew Gachechiladze, Senior Vice President of Product Development and Engineering
Andrew Gachechiladze leads Intermedia’s product development and engineering groups overseeing the development of software products for a hosted environment – including software as a service (SaaS) and unified communications as a service (UCaaS).
With the company since 2001, Gachechiladze was previously a product manager for hosted Microsoft Exchange. During his tenure, he helped Intermedia deliver new hosted products (such as Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010, OCS 2007 and Unison) ahead of the competition. He also helped promote policies and procedures for the software development and engineering teams (such as general architecture, development cycles and communications) that allows Intermedia to develop and support one of the hosted industry’s best control panels.
Prior to Intermedia, Gachechiladze was a software developer at ThinkWave, the California-headquarted software company as well as at KomiEximBank in Moscow, Russia. He also held the position of technical director at SAnet, the first internet hosting company located in the Republic of Georgia.
Gachechiladze holds a degree in physics and computer science from Tbilisi State University.
Doug Johnson, Senior Vice President of Sales
Doug Johnson became Intermedia’s Senior Vice President, Voice Services Group, in August, 2013, after Intermedia acquired Telanetix and its AccessLine brand of cloud voice services. Doug is responsible for all of the voice-related services in Intermedia’s Office in the Cloud.
Johnson originally joined AccessLine in 2000 as its Chief Operating Officer. In September of 2002, the AccessLine board of directors promoted him to President and Chief Executive Officer. In 2008, Johnson was named CEO of Telanetix.
Before joining AccessLine, Johnson was Vice President of the Advanced Services Group at AT&T Wireless. In that role, he managed wireless IP and wireless office services. He also served as AT&T Wireless's North American Vice President for Global Markets (where he was responsible for the company's top 3000 corporate accounts) as well as AT&T’s Vice President and General Manager for the Northwest Region.
Prior to AT&T Wireless, Mr. Johnson worked for McCaw Wireless as the General Manager of the Florida District. Mr. Johnson began his career with Touche Ross (now Deloitte and Touche) as a CPA. Mr. Johnson is an honor graduate from Washington State University.
Eric Weiss, Senior Vice President of Marketing
Weiss joined Intermedia in October 2013, bringing with him 18 years' of experience gained primarily in the SMB and cloud services sectors. He has a strong track record of branding, launching and growing businesses internationally.
Prior to joining Intermedia, Weiss held global SVP marketing roles with Axcient and GreenRoad, where he implemented rebranding efforts and marketing strategies. At GreenRoad, his effort increased revenues from $1M to $30M.
As CMO at Covad Communications, Weiss led the product and marketing teams that brought five new products to the SMB market. Weiss also held the role of VP at Macromedia, prior to its acquisition by Adobe, where he was responsible for rebranding Flash, which became the defacto application for viewing interactive web content on desktop PCs and mobiles. Before joining Macromedia, Weiss was Chief Operating Officer and co-founder of wholesale VoIP provider, ITXC.
Weiss earned his MBA from Harvard Business School and has a Masters' degree in Public Policy, Science and Technology, from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
Robert E. Leibholz, Senior Vice President of Business Development & Strategic Accounts
Robert “Bob” Leibholz oversees Intermedia's sales and business development activities as well as key partnerships. He is responsible for creating and expanding the company’s channel network to over 4,000 private label partners, as well as the extension of the program to Latin America and inking deals with Fortune 100-ranked Ingram Micro and Dell. He has lead Intermedia’s sales growth to become the industry leader in the business communication space.
In past positions at companies such as ASCAP and The Harry Fox Agency, Inc., Leibholz led licensing, sales and client relationship disciplines. Long a technology-focused business executive, he was the chief business driver for numerous technology projects, including an entertainment industry digital rights management system and many web-based client-facing applications.
A graduate of Carnegie-Mellon University, Leibholz served as editor for the American Management Associate course, The Art and Discipline of Managing Software Projects. A frequent speaker, he is sought after as a thought leader in business communications for small and medium size businesses.
Irina Shamkova, Senior Vice President of Product Management
As Intermedia’s vice president of product management, Irina Shamkova is responsible for the development and execution of the company’s product roadmap, ranging from hosted Microsoft Exchange to proprietary technologies such as HostPilot® Control Panel. She leads the company’s product and project management teams.
With the company for over 10 years, Shamkova previously held the role of a product manager. She has led many product initiatives, including product launch of hosted Exchange 2007 and 2010 ahead of competing Exchange hosts as well as Microsoft’s own hosting unit. Shamkova plays a key role in the forming of Intermedia’s direct and channel versions of HostPilot Control Panel, enabling it to be “private labeled” by partners for use by their end customers.
Shamkova received a masters in applied mathematics from Saint Petersburg State University in Russia.
Richard Walters, Vice President and General Manager of Identity and Access Management (IAM)
Richard is responsible for the entire function of AppID, including the IAM development team, product management, AppID sales and marketing. Richard’s deep knowledge of the AppID solution has been instrumental in successfully launching AppID’s single sign-on as well as the secure web platform. For the last ten years, Richard has focused exclusively on security and has an in-depth knowledge of operating system and database security, intrusion detection systems and end point security solutions.
Connie Adcock, Vice President, Client Services
Connie Adcock joined Intermedia in 2012 as vice president of client services. In her role, Adcock is responsible for Intermedia’s global technical support team where she champions companywide alignment in delivering extraordinary customer experience as measured by Intermedia’s Net Promoter Program, enhancing capabilities to scale with the company’s vision of growth, and supporting the client services team in realizing their career potential.
Adcock has a demonstrated record of success at building, mentoring and developing high performing customer service teams, including previous roles as SVP of customer service at 1-800-Flowers and VP of global customer contact at National Car Rental. These customer service teams won numerous awards, such as CRM Magazine’s #1 Best Customer Service Call Center for 1-800-Flowers, Training Magazine’s Top 125 Training Organizations two years in a row for 1-800-Flowers, and JD Power Car Rental Customer Satisfaction two years in a row for National Car Rental.
Most recently, Adcock was vice president of shared services at Vertex Data Science. While there she led the international virtual shared services team supporting global outsourcing operations with 32 call centers and 15,000 employees. She has tremendous experience creating and implementing innovative solutions in high growth companies, including building supporting capabilities for customer acquisition, cross-sell/up-sell and retention leadership, and career development programs.
Elizabeth Mye, Vice President of Human Resources
Elizabeth Mye, vice president of human resources, has global responsibilities for Intermedia’s HR services including staffing, compensation and benefits, training and overall employee relations. She comes to Intermedia from NetSuite, the industry’s leading provider of cloud-based financials and ERP software suites, where she oversaw human resources for North America. Mye brings with her 20 years of human resource management experience with a focused strength on the ability to effectively manage through high change environments in start-up and high growth emerging companies, as well as Fortune 100 national and international organizations, in the in the technology, IT consulting, healthcare, manufacturing and consumer products industries. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
Brian Shellabarger, Vice President of Product Innovation
Brian Shellabarger is Intermedia’s vice president of product innovation, focusing on developing new and interesting services that Intermedia will offer to customers. With a background in network engineering, software development and system administration, Brian was the CTO of a mid-sized hosting company in Utah (WestHost, now UK2), the VP of product management for Sphera, and spent the last four years at Parallels as the chief cloud architect and distinguished engineer architecting cloud solutions and running the company’s sales engineering group. While at Parallels and Sphera, Brian helped deploy software at many Exchange-based businesses and other hosting companies.
Ryan Barrett, Vice President of Security & Privacy
Ryan Barrett has more than a decade of experience in data security and IT leadership. Prior to Intermedia, Barrett has been integral in security with enterprises such as Qualys and WebEx, where he helped build out the original security program. Currently, he is responsible for securing and maintaining the privacy of Intermedia's enterprise cloud service offering. He's also responsible for maintaining the efficiency and security of Intermedia's unique IT infrastructure, which leverages best-of-breed enterprise cloud services alongside Intermedia's leading enterprise services.
Sarat Khilnani, Vice President of Product Management—Voice Products
Sarat drives the strategic vision of Intermedia’s voice products, including Hosted PBX, SIP Trunking, and its individual voice services. Sarat is responsible for developing and overseeing delivery on the company’s voice roadmap as well as playing a key consultative role in Intermedia’s acquisition strategy related to voice. He brings over 25 years of deep voice experience that spans Unified Communications, VoIP, traditional telephony, premises-based deployments, cloud-based deployments, IP PBXs, and video.
Sarat has been recently awarded a patent related to video processing algorithms. He's managed groups of over 150 engineers, and product management teams responsible for driving revenues of over $200 million per year. He has a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering from the University of Michigan, and an MBA from Santa Clara University, and has worked at IBM, Siemens and Cisco.
Yogesh Gubbi, Vice President of IT
Yogesh Gubbi is responsible for Intermedia's enterprise-wide internal IT systems. His charter is to design, develop and implement cloud solutions for automating business processes and integrating business systems across sites in the company. He has over 20 years of experience in the areas of information technology, software development, and technical architecture, and has held senior management roles at Silicon Valley companies like Oracle, Google, Postini and Celerity. Yogesh holds a Master’s degree in Engineering from UC Berkeley and has authored several papers.
Christiane Ohlgart, Vice President of Finance
Christiane Ohlgart has more than 20 years for experience in financial accounting and reporting. She has global responsibility for Intermedia’s financial accounting, planning and forecasting as well as revenue operations. Christiane has gained extensive experience in different finance and reporting roles at SAP in the US and Germany. Most recently, she served as CFO of SuccessFactors Inc and was responsible for SAP’s International Cloud Deal Support Operations. In addition to her finance responsibilities at SAP and SuccessFactors, she focused on improving internal processes for the benefit of the business as well as the strengthening of the control environment.
Mike Fischer, Vice President of Voice Operations
Mike Fischer became Intermedia’s Vice President, Voice Services Operations, in August 2013, after Intermedia acquired Telanetix’ AccessLine brand of cloud voice services. Mike is responsible for all voice-related operations and service delivery including network, provisioning, fulfillment , customer service and technical support. He brings over 20 years of telecom operations and product development experience with a focus on continuous improvement of the customer experience. Prior to overseeing Voice Operations Mike was responsible for the design and development of AccessLine’s (now Intermedia) hosted VoIP platform bringing many of its key products to market. Mike holds a MS in Computer Engineering from National Technological University and BS in Computer Engineering from University of the Pacific.
Oak Hill Capital Partners – one of the world’s most respected private equity firms – acquired Intermedia in May 2011.
With Oak Hill’s strong capital base and deep industry knowledge, Intermedia continues to expand its suite of cloud services – as well as its significant investments in premium 24x7 support, migration services, innovative and easy-to-use technology, and always-on operations. Intermedia delivers its services to over 100,000 small and mid-size businesses, has over 13,500 channel partners, and manages over 1,000,000 hosted Exchange mailboxes.
Oak Hill Capital Partners is a private equity firm with more than $8.0 billion of committed capital from leading entrepreneurs, endowments, foundations, corporations, pension funds and global financial institutions. Robert M. Bass is the lead investor. Over more than 24 years, the professionals at Oak Hill Capital Partners and its predecessors have invested in more than 60 significant private equity transactions. Oak Hill Capital Partners is one of several Oak Hill partnerships, each of which has a dedicated and independent management team. You can learn more at www.oakhillcapital.com.