Intermedia Finds Business Professionals Choosing iPhone over Android
iPad is #1 pick for Tablets
Android market share and popularity among consumers continues to climb, but business professionals generally prefer the iPhone, according to Intermedia, the world’s largest Microsoft Exchange hosting provider. Intermedia, which manages 320,000 premium hosted Exchange email accounts, reviewed the number of ActiveSync-based smartphones its customers activated. Sixty-one percent choose the iPhone, while only 17 percent prefer the Android. This is in stark contrast to recent reports showing Android market share beating iPhone. Intermedia also finds that the iPad is a business favorite with 99.8 percent of tablet customers picking the Apple brand over the Samsung Galaxy or Motorola Xoom.
Intermedia’s business email and collaboration services support the full range of smartphones and tablets, including iPhone, Android devices, and BlackBerry. Other smartphone stats from Intermedia include:
- Total breakdown of ActiveSync-based smartphone’s activated on Intermedia’s service:
- 61 percent on iPhone
- 22 percent on “Other” (primarily Windows, followed by Symbian and Palm)
- 17 percent on Android
- ActiveSync devices activated in April: iPhone is still in the number one spot and increased its share to 64 percent. Android share is climbing fast with 33 percent.
- Tablets activated in April: Close to 100 percent of new tablets were iPads, with just a tiny fraction activating the Samsung Galaxy and Motorola Xoom.
- iPad popularity is growing dramatically: Intermedia typically sees approximately 300 new iPads activated in a month. They saw a jump to over 900 in March and over 1,200 in April.
Note: No specific user or account action/email was reviewed by Intermedia in determining these statistics. The BlackBerry remains a central component to Intermedia’s mobility offering, but this data is specific to ActiveSync devises, which does not include hosted BlackBerry.
For info-graphics representing the data, see Intermedia’s Resource Center.
“Professionals want to sync and manage their business email, contacts, and calendars across their computers, smartphones, and tablets,” says Jonathan McCormick, COO, Intermedia. “They also want to use the brands of their choice. Supporting these options can strain an IT department accustomed to managing only one type of device – or an entrepreneur with no IT staff to help with set up. Email services like Intermedia’s deliver these productivity capabilities with the click of a mouse and back them up with 24×7 support from certified professionals.”
In addition to hosted Microsoft Exchange 2010, as well as other Microsoft products such as Office Communications Server 2007 and SharePoint 2010, Intermedia offers an integrated suite of cloud communications and collaboration services. These services include Encrypted Email, Online Backup, Hosted PBX, and Conference Bridges. All Intermedia services are set up and managed from Intermedia’s HostPilot® Control Panel.
 ActiveSync is the syncing protocol that iPhone, Android and Windows 7 smartphones use to sync email and other information with Microsoft Exchange.
 Android passes BlackBerry in U.S. smartphone survey, ComputerWorld, 5/9/11