Is your archiving solution too slow?
Over the past few months, I’ve talked to dozens of IT professionals who’ve told me that managing their email and archiving solutions is a big challenge. The volume of email for these firms is doubling and tripling, and for the industry in general, I’ve read reports that say it’s skyrocketed by 500% over the last 10 years. As you know, the three main reasons companies have to archive email are:
- Lowering the risk and cost of restoring accidentally or maliciously deleted or altered emails
- Ensuring compliance with industry and government regulations
- Avoiding costly eDiscovery service charges
These IT professionals told me they’re often obligated to satisfy specific email retention and retrieval regulations, which they haven’t been able to do using traditional out-of-the-box email server/client products (PST files). Many of them have needed to migrate away from legacy archiving solutions as they were either too costly, inefficient, slow, or did not fully meet regulatory requirements, such as those mandated by the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FRCP) for litigation.
When considering a migration away from a current solution, these professionals usually ask me about difficulty, cost, and speed. That’s because some vendors think it’s okay to try and lock you in to their solution by creating “barriers to exit.” Fortunately, some solutions, like the Intermedia Email Archiving service, can take the time and pain out of migration. When choosing a new archiving service, you need to look for three main features:
- Make sure that the vendor has a proven and easy process for extracting archived data from a legacy solution. For example, Intermedia has a convenient script that allows IT pros to migrate data from solutions like Google’s Postini or even an older Barracuda box. Using these tools can make the process much faster, easier, and affordable.
- Look for a super-fast engine that can ingest the data quickly. Most solutions fall short in this area, and often require a few decades. I’m exaggerating… but not by much. Optimally, you want to complete this process within a few short days for something less than 500 gigabytes.
- Be sure that all emails were ingested properly and accurately. It does little good to migrate to a new service if your emails are missing, no longer compliant, or unsearchable.
Consider Intermedia—and our Email Archiving service
There may be several reasons why it makes sense to migrate away from your current email archiving solution, or to add an archiving solution if you’re starting fresh. Now, with Intermedia’s Email Archiving offered as a standalone service, you add this service to any popular email platform like Exchange, Office 365, Gmail, Zimbra, IMail, and many others — including Intermedia’s Hosted Exchange service. Check it out today.