Avoiding “exposure”: Lessons for business from the great celebrity photo hack
Last week, we all read about how Jennifer Lawrence and other celebrities had indiscreet photos stolen and distributed across the Internet. It’s speculated that their accounts were accessed by a “brute force” attack—which can only be successful if their passwords were weak.
But it’s not just celebrities who should be concerned. Weak passwords are a risk for businesses, too. Verizon found that 76% of all network intrusions exploit weak or stolen passwords.
And I know it’s obvious to just say, “Well, let’s just force our employees to use strong passwords.” But with an average of 14.3 apps per business, users just can’t be expected to remember strong passwords for all their apps. What I end up seeing are users taking shortcuts: reusing passwords, choosing easy-to-remember passwords, writing them down on sticky notes.
Protect your business with a single sign-on solution
So I recommend that businesses consider a single sign-on solution. A single sign-on solution stores passwords and automatically logs users in with a single click. This provides employees with access to all their cloud apps using just one login and password. This improves security in a number of ways:
- With just one password to remember, users are much more likely to use a strong one
- Admins can enforce 2-factor authentication as an added layer of security
- Access to the entire portal can be deprovisioned in just one click
“Great,” you say. “I’ll get a single sign-on solution right away.” But I’ll warn you, when you start looking around at your options, you’re going to find that most of them are going to be extremely complex to deploy, requiring on-site consultants and costly training. Which means many SSO options are going to be out of reach if you’re running a smaller business or working with tight budgets.
Intermedia AppID: SSO for ANY business
Now any business can afford SSO. Intermedia AppID is simple to deploy by any business, regardless of size or IT sophistication. I mean it! If you’re already an Intermedia customer, you can deploy AppID in a single click. And non-Intermedia customers can easily integrate AppID with any on-premises Active Directory. Plus, AppID supports over 1500 popular cloud apps, as well as the custom apps you’re using in-house.
If you need help, our Cloud Concierge™ team is standing by 24/7 for deployment assistance. But seriously, AppID is so easy to use, no training is necessary for either admins or employees.
But don’t take our word for it alone:
- Patrick Ford, IT director for Magellan Search and Staffing, an Intermedia AppID customer, said: “The fewer passwords people have to remember, the better! With just one login required to access all their apps, users save at least an hour a day by not having to type in passwords or search for them. And I get back a full eight-hour day per week to do things not related to break-fix or password retrieval.”
- Felix Yanko, president of ServNET Technologies, an Intermedia partner, said: “AppID is becoming a cornerstone of our security offering. We’re using it to introduce new security services to both new and existing customers—and because it’s so simple to deploy, we can do so while maintaining efficiencies that assure high margins.”
To learn more about single sign-on and Intermedia AppID, visit Intermedia.net/AppID. Or give us a call at 1-800-379-7729. Our experts will answer the phone in less than 60 seconds and answer all your questions.